When your home heating and cooling system needs repair, you might be tempted to jump to the web or the yellow pages and just start dialing Heating and AC repair near me Contractors, picking the first one that says they can be there TODAY! Unfortunately, this method of choosing a contractor while you are under pressure because your air conditioner or furnace needs repair can be a recipe for disaster for you the homeowner.
When you are picking out a heating and cooling contractor there are far more important questions to have answered than just when can you be here! I am not dismissing the fact that that is an important factor especially when you are hot or cold because your ac or furnace need to be repaired, but it can end up costing you a ton of money, stress and aggravation in the long run.
So how do you know if you’ve chosen a quality Air Conditioning Contractor? It all starts with the initial phone call, but it doesn’t stop there.
Some things to consider:
• Check their ratings, things like the Tucson BBB, Arizona Registrar of Contractors & Angie’s List. Google while valuable can be manipulated to show positive reviews and is a less reliable option.
• Is the phone answered professionally and promptly (during normal working hours, if after hours take this with a grain of salt as it is impossible to control the types of employees an after hours answering service hires. If they are not professional, courteous or rude be sure to alert the management/owner of the HVAC Business)
• If the call is after hours, how long does it take for someone to contact you to address your concern and provide a time frame for when they can be out to your home.
• Do they give you a clear timeframe for service and also inform you that you will receive a confirmation call prior to the technician heading to your home as a courtesy update and reminder?
Once the call has been scheduled:
• Do you receive a confirmation call? If so is the technician/dispatcher professional in their demeanor?
• Are they on-time? If not do you receive a courtesy call advising you that they are running late before their expected time of arrival?
• Because HVAC repair can be a complicated business, it is sometimes necessary for a technician to take longer on a call than expected. A quality company will respect your time as valuable and give you as much notice as possible so that you are not waiting unnecessarily for someone to show up when you can be doing other more productive things.
When the Technician arrives:
• Is he prompt and on-time? And if not did he or someone at the office call you to inform you that he was running late? Your time is valuable and a quality professional air conditioning professional will respect your time.
• Is his appearance neat, clean and professional? Is he wearing a clean uniform that clearly demonstrates a professional attention to detail?
• Is he polite and professional in his introduction to you? Does he confirm with you the reason for his visit (I’m here to complete your maintenance, repair your air conditioner or furnace etc.)?
• Does he put on shoe covers before entering your home? While a lot of people may not feel this is necessary, it is the correct thing to do for a technician and shows that he has been properly trained to respect and protect your home.
• Does the technician take a few minutes to discuss with you what you are experiencing with your system? Does he ask probing questions regarding your heating and air conditioning system and does he listen intently to your answers? A well trained heating and cooling technician while being the expert of repairing of your cooling or heating system knows the value of listening to a customer. It may not only assist him in making the correct diagnosis, but may also alert him to other issues he can address that may otherwise be missed if he just focuses on the repair of your air conditioner or furnace.